Saturday, December 10, 2011

One Thing

It is hard to get confused when you are focused on just one thing. Confusion almost always comes when we are double-minded, that is, thinking of more than one thing as being important. Confusion only ensues when more than one thing competes to be the top priority.
The Bible has a lot to say about one thing that can be helpful and even inspirational. Do a word search of the New Testament on "one thing" and see what you get. Now go through each of those eliminating ones that are not relevant to our search and voila you have a wonderful topic to study and think about.

I have found several significant references to ONE THING.

First Jesus answers the Pharisees with ONE question. "I will ask you ONE THING, which if you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I do these things." -- He boiled down the issues to really only ONE THING, one issue - their unwillingness to believe no matter what.

Second, is Jesus' answer to the rich young ruler whom Jesus loved but who had all the credentials for earning salvation, if it could be earned. Jesus said, ONE THING you lack. Go and sell all that you have and give to the poor and your will have true treasure in heaven." -- He wasn't willing to do it because ONE THING was more important to him that God - his stuff, his wealth, his earthly treasures.

Third, Jesus is at Lazarus's house for dinner. Martha is frazzled with her to-do list in getting everything perfect for Jesus while Mary sat at Jesus' feet loving and learning from him. Mary blew a fuse and had a hissy fit but Jesus responded piteously to Martha (Luke 10:41), "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about MANY THINGS, but only ONE THING is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." --

Fourth, the man born blind in John 9 responds to his detractors who wanted to nullify or contradict his healing. He responded, "This ONE THING I know, once I was blind but now I see." -- Great answer!

Fifth, we hear the Apostle Paul setting eternal priorities in this life in Philippians 3:13-14. "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But ONE THING I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." -- Way to go Paul! Way to set the standard for all of us.

Sixth, we hear Peter reminding believers of the importance of keeping our hearts expectantly waiting the coming of the Lord in 2 Peter 3:8-9 "But do not forget this ONE THING, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." -- HEY GUYS, KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE!"

Finally, we turn back to the Old Testament and listen to David in Psalm 27:4, "ONE THING have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and inquire in his temple."

All of these Scriptures speak to us about PRIORITIES.

What ONE THING is Jesus speaking to you about today?

No comments:

Post a Comment